Saturday, July 19, 2008

I'm sitting here, but my mind isn't


I have a stong affinity for maps.
A map represents soil where I haven't stood, air I haven't breathed, and throughts I haven't had.
A map represents everyone I haven't laid eyes on.
They are doing some of the same things I'm doing- bending to pick up a quarter, stepping on a Lego, drinking water, scratching my knee, folding a piece of paper.
But they're doing things I'm NOT doing- herding sheep, watching a lava flow, brushing desert sand from their eyes, burning incense, comforting a child with AIDS, riding a crowded bullet train.
They are out there just the same as I am. Do they feel it?

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Wow that is deep. That really makes me think too... you always have an awesome way of putting things. you are so smart... i'm serious. We are still in cali... went into mexico today. We actually took addie across the border... pretty werid. It was a little scary at times, but of course.... she was great!!