Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Extreme Home Makeover (The Kitchen Edition)

This is the story of a sad, half-finished kitchen.
It contained an empty, blank wall,
clamoring for possibilities.

We stared at this wall for five years.
One day I got tired of staring and visited
cabinetry shops, Lowes, Home Depot,
and many cabinetry websites.
After 4 design sessions at 3 different
stores, several hours, three weeks,
and about $1700 later, some boxes arrived.
The boxes contained the kitchen's destiny.
Jeremy figured out how to re-wire the
outlet and moved it up above where the
base cabinet would go. How did he
know how to do this?
It's part of the kitchen mystery.
How do a few screws hold up
all that wood? It seems to defy physics.
Using the infamous kitchen chair as a step stool.
Did I mention that this man donated
blood today? That's right,
he's saving kitchens
AND saving lives!

And then, one day, the kitchen was finished.
It was the craziest thing.
There was SPACE in the kitchen.
There was a pantry, for FOOD!
There were slide out trash and
recycling bins! The giant blue
eyesore of a trash can
was nowhere to be seen!
We gained 4 cabinets, 4 drawers,
a pantry, and about 5 feet of counter space.
And Jeremy did all the
installation, saving us $400.
How I love that man!

10 comments:

Trisha said...

Amazing! I looks wonderful and matches very well! What a talented Handy Man you have in that house. I would DIE (or almost) for that much more space in my kitchen. I only dream of having a PANTRY someday, seems like it may never come true. :( Beautiful job!

Whittier said...

Looks great! Maybe in 5 years we'll do something with our sorry kitchen. Impressive Jeremy.

Tracy said...

It looks AMAZING!!!!!! You did a great job Jeremy and it looks like Janell got her way on the countertop (you know what I mean) but it still turned out really awesome!! Good job to the both of you. Oh, and Parker you did a good job too as I am sure you helped do something!! Love you,

Aaron Hancock said...

I have seen it with my eyes and touched it with my very hands. It looks as good in person as it does in the pictures. Way to go you guys. The things you have done to that house since you moved in are amazing!! See, I have to keep moving when things get run down, because I am the world's worst carpenter.

Dad

Adam said...

Awesome. Makes me want to run out and buy a fixer-uper!

Hotel Hancock Happenings said...

Wow! Way to go Jeremy! (On the kitchen AND giving blood, lol.) Looks awesome.

Katie

Rachel said...

What a beautiful new room!! you must smile every day as you walk past it!! That looks like so much work and such a pain to install on your own! Jeremy really knew what to do and he worked it!! I love it love it!! :)

Alyssa said...

Hey it looks great! There's something so satisfying about taking a plain space and making it wonderful and super functional and your own :)

Amber Hancock said...

It looks awesome!

thejohnmfamily said...

How fabulous! It looks awesome.