Monday, June 21, 2010

End of an Era

I didn't think it was going to be a big deal, but it was.


My little guy graduating from elementary school!
A moment 6 years in the making!During the ceremony, there was a surprise moment
when Parker was called to the stage
to receive an award for outstanding performance
on the Standards of Learning tests.It really FELT like these kids were moving on
after growing, learning, and achieving so much at O.B. Gates.

During their first days, they took naps
and finger painted and sang songs about
the ABCs and their teachers hoped they
wouldn't have any "accidents" requiring a change of clothes.
During their last days, they knew how to
send their teachers emails, how to
work with a group on a social studies
project, and how to add unlike fractions.

These two had a particularly good
time in elementary school.


We were pretty proud of him that day.
During the last 6 years, there were many long evenings
with homework,endless tests and projects,
and lots of giggles when we were just
too silly to take it seriously anymore.

5th grade also marks the end
of Parker's enrollment in the before & after
school program at The Goddard School.
Guess those 6th graders are just too much trouble!(These ones DEFINITELY would be.)

Parker's favorite teacher, Mr. Turner.
Parker's locker at Goddard, where I would always find
random bits of things when I came to pick him up,
from mysterious notes to half-finished drawings
to Lego pieces, broken pencils and rubber animals.
Another favorite teacher, Ms. Mary
(though you can't tell by THAT expression!)
She always had a smile for Parker
at the end of a long day.
And finally, goodbye to this former 5th grader's domain!
Farewell, O.B. Gates!
It was a little sad to drive away for the last time,
watching the playgrounds disappear as we drove away.
But I believe Parker is looking forward to the next adventure.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

wow!! What a milestone for your fam! Did you cry threw the whole ceremony? I totally would have. I'm already worried about Addie's first day at preschool in a few months. haha. I love the pics of his school. Ive never seen it before. How lucky that they got lockers!! He looks pretty thrilled to be on to better and bigger things now! Congrats parker! we love you!

Tracy said...

Yes, your little boy has ended an era of many years of recess, and occasionally some studying. It is so hard when you realize how fast time is going by and it makes you appreciate each and every day you have with the people that you love. You have some great years ahead for all of you, make sure you enjoy each and every one of them. Love you ~

Tracy said...

P.S. I do believe I recognize that tie (: haha

thejohnmfamily said...

Wow--how fun! Congratulations.