Friday, March 13, 2009

VCU CreateAthon 2009

CreateAthon onCampus is a unique opportunity for students to put their skills and talents to use helping local nonprofit organizations. Students in the fields of mass communication, marketing and design partner with faculty members and local professionals to develop and produce materials ranging from identity packages to PR strategies.
There were 12 groups and 12 non-profit agencies. We even had a visit from our client, a non-profit that visits hospitals with therapy dogs to aid patients with healing and reduce stress and anxiety. Her dog was totally adorable!
It's 24 hour blitz of creativity, and we stay on campus the entire time. Someone even brought an air mattress to catch a quick nap if needed. I didn't make it the full 24 hours...after 16 hours in, I headed home. Someone had to take Parker to school! So missed the 3 a.m. dance party. They even had a yoga class and tons of food to keep us going.
Anyway hopefully later I can post the finished product that our team worked on for the Center for Human-Animal Interaction. Here's a video they made last year of the event:

http://createathononcampus.org/vcu/index.html

They filmed me and my team a lot for the new video, but it's not available yet. Anyway it was a great experience, and I'm groggy today, but I had a blast.

No comments: